Sunday, February 27, 2011

A New Adventure or A Chance to Bless the Rains Down in Africa


There are currently more than 27 million slaves in this world.  Every day while you and I check email and facebook, drive to work, listen to our iPods, share meals with family and friends, there are people living with a horrific reality.   They are of both genders, all ages and races, and are subject to abuses most of us cannot even imagine.  Many of them are children bought and sold for cheap, used for labor, as servants or factory workers, and in many cases, for prostitution.  These are children who need love and compassion.

I have been given a tremendous gift.  In order to pursue a call I feel to serve victims of human trafficking, I have been offered an unpaid three-month leave of absence starting this July.  I will be going to Cape Town, South Africa and serving with some hard-working existing organizations, largely participating in aftercare for children rescued from slavery.

There are dozens of people who would sacrifice tremendously to protect me from such a fate as slavery.  The same is probably true of you.  We are lucky and should count our blessings.  And then we should do what we can to help. 

I am going because I feel called to this ministry and I am asking for your support – your prayers, your good wishes, and a donation if you are able to help out.  Have a contact in Cape Town?  Let me know!  Feeling over-burdened with too many frequent flier miles?  I can help!  Any financial gifts would be hugely helpful, and any amount I raise over what I need for the trip will go to further mission work, specifically in helping abolitionist efforts (see the Donate button at the top of the page).  Any amount, no matter how small, can help make this opportunity a reality.  Please consider sending this page on to anyone you know that might be interested.

I’ll be updating here regularly as I make preparations for this adventure and as I travel.  Looking forward to your company as I go!

With love,
Laurie

1 comment: